Thursday, December 12, 2013

Media Console • An Ana White Project

Now that our baby is getting mobile, we've realized it's time to do away with our college years TV stand and replace it with something both more grown up and more baby proof (mostly more baby proof). While most media consoles are beyond our budget, a handbuilt one was not!

There is a plan for a media console in Ana White's The Handbuilt Home, but the dimensions were a bit too large for our family room. So, I took out a measuring tape and figured out what size media console would be best for our purposes. With new basic dimensions on paper, I opened up Sketch Up and figured out the rest of the new dimensions:

I'm glad I took the time to model this, it definitely prevented a few incorrect cuts! I also felt more prepared to assemble it, as I had to walk through each step in the modeling.

Once the planning and shopping were completed, it was time to start working with the wood. The first step was to build the box. Some notes:

  • We used a shelf pin jig to quickly make holes for adjustable shelves
  • Pocket holes, a partner, and L square made assembly surprisingly quick for the box!
Media Console: The Box
Next, came the frame. This was a fairly quick process, scattered over days, of: mark cut, cut, sand, nail to the box. An even easier step was attaching the back (a piece of plywood). The doors took a bit more effort, but were by no means difficult. Before we knew it we had an unfinished Media Console! After a bit of procrastination, and a few paint layers later, we had this:

 We anchored it to the wall with some L brackets, and finally relaxed and enjoyed some TV.


  • Sanding: Medium, then Very Fine
  • Primer
  • Paint: Swiss Coffee by Behr, Satin Finish. 3 coats, sanding between each coat

Friday, October 25, 2013

Gallery Ledges • Ana White

pocket holes
the unfinished product
totally earned it
I* finally completed my very first project! Before the hubs and I tackle building a media console, we built an easier, more "beginner" friendly project first. These gallery ledges seemed like the perfect first build. Especially since we needed something to house these books –and preferably a cheap something.

There are many ways to make these ledges. They can even be assembled with just some sandpaper, a hammer, nails, and wood glue. Since we were somewhat "practicing" for bigger projects, we actually used a pocket hole jig (worked like a charm!) and power tools.

Supplies Used:
  • [ 1 ] 1x2 (8' pine)
  • [ 2 ] 1x4 (8' pine)
  • Medium & very fine sand paper
  • Safety glasses
  • Screws 
    • 1 1/4" pocket hole screws for the ledge
    • 2" wood screws for mounting
  • 2" Nails 
  • Hammer
  • Wood Glue
  • Wood Filler
  • Paint brush
  • Behr Swiss Coffee in Satin 
  • Level
Helpful Tools:
  • Jigsaw
  • Pocket Hole Jig
  • Power Sander
  • Power Drill
  • Stud Finder

*Okay, the husband helped.